During the 19th century and for much of the 20th century, Germantown’s businesses consisted of many small “mom and pop” stores which were owned and operated by immigrants new to Germantown. Such was the case with the Fuehrer family which owned a small grocery store at 4554 Wayne Avenue for much of the second quarter of the 20th century. The store sold- among other things- candy, cigars, and dry goods. This photograph was taken a short time after the Fuehrers completely renovated their store. The store flourished until after World War II but then fell on hard times. By 1953, the building had become a neighborhood nuisance, with kids vandalizing the building and strewing the rear yard with broken bottles. Sadly, though it appears the building stood for many years thereafter, it ultimately did not survive. A vacant lot is all that remains now, with no reminder available of the building which once stood there or the people who once called it home.