The Germantown Special Services District (GSSD) has a total of eight committees, six committees that meet on a regular basis, and two additional committees that meet as needed. The GSSD looks for committee members from our businesses, property owners, residents and the larger community who are enthusiastic about our mission and programs and have some experience or an expertise in the core mission of each committee.
The six standard committees are: Executive, Finance, Fundraising, Outreach & Marketing, and Clean Safe & Beautification and Development.
The two committees that meet on an as-need basis are: Nominating and Hiring.
Learn more about our committees below and contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org to get involved.
ORGANIZATION MANAGEMENT COMMITTEES
There are two committes that are directly related to the management and financial health of the organization.
This committee has the authority to make decisions on behalf of the entire Board on time-critical administrative and policy matters that arise between Board meetings. Membership of this committee will consist of the current President, Vice-President,Secretary, Treasurer and special appointees. The key tasks of this committee are to:
- Approve and dictate spending of funds on projects and administrative tasks
- Monitor GSSD’s overall progress on its 5-year plan and insure that GSSD is carrying out appropriate actions to implement the 5-year plan
- Request and receive regular action plans of the Director and Committees
- Oversee and make recommendations to the board on all aspects of how GSSD conducts its business. They regularly evaluate the effectiveness of meetings, roles,and makes recommendations for improvement.
- Oversee and make recommendations to the board on all application and revision of the bylaws and community relations.
Reviews budgets initially prepared by director/staff, to help develop appropriate procedures for budget preparations (such as meaningful involvement by program directors), and on a consistency between the budget and the organization’s plans.
- To report to the board any financial irregularities, concerns, opportunities
- To recommend financial guidelines to the board
- To work with director/staff to design financial reports and ensure they are accurate and timely
- To oversee and provide recommendations or insight for short and long-term investments
- To recommend selection of the auditor and work with the auditor
- To advise the executive director and other appropriate staff on financial priorities and information systems.
PLANNING AND EXECUTION COMMITTEES
These committees assist with creating projects and services related to the mission of the organization and daily work.
CLEAN, SAFE & BEAUTIFICATION COMMITTEE
The Clean, Safe & Beautification Committee is responsible for execution of the GSSD core mission – to develop a clean and safe Germantown District. This committee is open to property owners, businesses and the local community. Ensuring the good health of the mission, and increased value provided to the community and businesses we serve.
- To ensure and reinforce core responsibilities of GSSD to the community and ALL stakeholders
- To oversee new project development, and to monitor and assess existing programs
- To research grants, and introduce any fundraising opportunities related to specific projects for the committee
- To initiate and guide program for safety measures in the community, and business corridors
- Support cleaning, greening and beautification projects
- Keep up with the work of this committee at: CSB Work
OUTREACH AND MARKETING COMMITTEE
Manages the GSSD brand, creative strategy, and strategic partnerships through events and communications. The committee is open to all.
- To oversee marketing, manage, set standards and ongoing goals for social media and media relations.
- To initiate and guide program evaluations, awareness, through inbound and outbound communications
- To facilitate and build opportunities for discussion among business owners and community stakeholders about safety and beautification and marketing the corridor
- To create and develop strategic partnerships with key stakeholders and influencers in Germantown, Philadelphia and Pennsylvania
- To present ideas and events that engage and encourage business owners to get and stay involved in the community
Manages the RCO duties of the GSSD, with the committee focused on development and zoning matters related to the district and commercial properties. In addition to overseeing RCO responsibilities, the Development committee also works to create standards that we ask commercial property and business owners to follow, in helping to create an inviting atmosphere for the community, visitors and shoppers. This committee is by invitation.
CAPACITY BUILDING COMMITTEES
This committee works with the board to secure additional streams of revenue to supplement the financial capacity of the organization.
The Fundraising Committee is responsible for overseeing the organization’s overall fundraising and, in particular, the fundraising done by the board. This committee is open to property owners, businesses and the local community. To accomplish this, its responsibilities are:
- To work with staff to establish a fundraising plan that incorporates a series of appropriate vehicles, such as special events, direct mail, product sales, etc.
- To work with fundraising staff in their efforts to raise money
- To take the lead in certain types of outreach efforts, such as chairing a dinner/dance committee or hosting fundraising parties, etc.
- To be responsible for involvement of all board members in fundraising, such as having board members make telephone calls to ask for support.
- To monitor fundraising efforts to be sure that ethical practices are in place, that donors are acknowledged appropriately, and that fundraising efforts are cost-effective.
- There are two committees that are only convened when new board members are needed or when high level staff hiring is required.
The Nominating Committee is responsible for the general affairs of board membership. To accomplish this the committee includes the following responsibilities:
- To prepare priorities and recommendations for board composition
- To meet with prospective board members and recommend candidates to the board
- To recommend a slate of officers to the board and supporting partnerships
- To conduct orientation sessions for new board members and to organize training sessions for the entire board as seen fit. To asses existing talent and help in acquiring new talent to maintain an effective, diverse and inclusive board.
- To suggest new, non-board individuals for committee membership.
This committee is selected from members of the board and is responsible for developing job descriptions for positions with the organization, and providing recommendations to the Executive Committee related to salary, as requested.